Wednesday 6 July 2011

Childhood holiday re-visited

I am packing my bucket and spade!

I have been off work this week - recovering from a fun hen party and preparing for a pretty big wedding and my mini Summer holiday!
This weekend I will re-live family fun circa 1990s with a trip to Bundoran, Co Donegal. Oh the happy memories of sun burn, rain, sand between my toes and getting sick on the amusements!
This Friday, July 8 my cousin and his delightful girlfriend will get hitched in a beautiful church in Ballyshannon before hot trotting it to the Great Northern Hotel, Bundoran for some full on celebrating. What makes the wedding special  (aside from the couple of course) is that it is an American wedding in Ireland. Both Bride and Groom are American but because of family connections (like me) and their love of the olde country they have decided to merge 70 of their US family and friends with those of us with Irish passports to celebrate their happy nuptials.
I am so excited, at first I was disappointed to hear I would be making the trip to Bundoran instead of Boston, but now I couldn't be more in the zone. Not only will the wedding be beautiful (I have seen the Bride's veil - so I know) the setting and location spectacular (come on weather hold on for us) but the crowd should be fun and the atmosphere ecstatic.

Who does not love the bumping cars?!

Along with all that, this weekend also sees the annual migration of people from Northern Ireland to the South as we edge closer to the 12th of July. Bundoran has always been the ideal spot to escape prospective troubles so I am expecting the town to be crammed full and ready to party.
As I will be reading at the wedding ceremony, me and my boyfriend have been invited to rehearsal dinner, the night before the wedding. This American tradition is something new to me, so I can't wait for the experience.
I will let you all know how the American Irish traditions merge and also about my adventures in the 90s number one holiday destination in my next post. Lets hope it lives up to my edited memories.
There will be surfing - both crowd and water!!

Bundoran

What are your childhood holiday memories?

No comments:

Post a Comment